Home … the place we would once all look forward to going to at the end of the day . Sit down rest, see the ones you love, enjoy the views of the garden you only see on weekends – Welp .
That’s not exactly our experience right now ist it ?
The walls surrounding our home, at the moment are everything we see during the day. And working from home has made our surroundings and laptops and phones 80% of what we see. And I don’t know about you , but I am having to find ays to stay sane , and productive and not turn into a permanent laptop-hobbit.
Below are 10 Tips of how to make sure you are taking care of yourself while not letting your work slip.
- Where you’re working. Preferably not in your bed, its important to establish a space, a corner an area where you feel like you can work , not just for productivity sake , but just the fact that , its sometimes nice to associate your bed with sleep and your kitchen or desk corner with work.
- Breaks. This one is hard; but unless you’re really not pressed for time or a big deadline, try to take breaks when you can throughout the day. Think about it , if you were outside working you’d have a couple of minutes talking to colleagues or partners about your work, It would have been a great brain-break for you , use that time now for something similar.
- Sleep routine, I will one day get the hang of this , but sleeping at a similar time very night and waking up at a similar time every morning will make your body thank you.
- Over communicate – whether its your lab supervisor or your manager at the office … you know how hard your working, make sure others know too.
- Catch Up with Colleagues, there are some people in people at your workplace I’m sure that you usually catch up with , walk to lunch with , or bond over company tea and cakes. Don’t forget them ! There nothing wrong with sending a friendly hello to the people who have been there for you in the past.
- No pyjamas– I am all for pyjama bottoms, I half live in them , but when there are meetings, make sure they CANNOT be seen.
- Give your body some attention – since vitamin D probably is not your closest friends right now, make an effort to take a look at your skin and hair and health in general. I know , personally have wanted to go without make up for a while, and although I usually go to work in the stuff, staying at home has really helped that. So if you want to write your reports and essays with a face-mask on – do it ! No ones stopping you.
- Keep your private number, private. Unless its to close member of your team , try to reserve your number, and avoid that merge between work calls and personal calls.
- Move around – endorphins are real. Walks are free. Get some.
- When those work meetings and team catch-ups come around … take yourself off mute !